Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Deception of Division

In class the other day, we were discussing important leaders like Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. Du Bois and their approaches to racial equality. I'd like to say that any form of racism is over, and it may appear so, but it's far from true. Racism isn't just an American issue; it occurs around the world. In the U.S., it seems less active, and what may appear as segregation may be simply separation based on preference and commonalities. This is just one division: the amount of melatonin in your skin placing you in one group or another. What about division based on gender, intelligence, income, or hereditry? All an illusion... "So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise." (Galatians 3:26-29)

I began to think farther, about this concept of a divide among us. It happens between groups, sub-groups, etc... But also on an individual, more devastating level. It begins like this: "I must be different, no one feels this way; She has everything together; I must be weak if I struggle with this; People will not accept me if they know the real me." These are dangerous, devisive lies from no where else but the Father of Lies. In the same way that we isolate ourselves from "other" groups, we isolate ourselves from other individuals, living in fear instead of faith. We live behind invisible walls to protect ourselves, preserve our identity, and remain "happy." But, guess what, God created us for relationships! At the core, we are all broken, hurting souls placed within an outer-shell of a body. If Satan can convince of we are weird, strange, un-Christian to think such thoughts, hypocritical, he will prevent our growth and freedom in choosing emotional intimacy. I would have to say, that not until college did I discover that all my struggles, were common struggles. I was not so different. The girls on my hall dreamed the same dreams, felt the same pains, and also experienced the same emotions.

I cannot say how freeing it is to sit down with a sister in Christ and feel acceptance and a lightening of the soul in sharing my heart. To have someone say, yes, I've been there too, or yes, I struggle with that, is liberating. So next time you try to isolate yourself in your own little group or in your own little self (whichever it may be), remember the unity in Christ and commonality in mankind, and risk relationships and friendships, even accountability, with another soul made in God's image.

No comments:

Post a Comment