Sunday, October 3, 2010

Be Careful What You Pray; You Might Get What You Asked For

Lately, I think God's been trying to teach me patience. I say "trying," because so far, I've been fairly resistant to the whole thing. I remember months ago praying that God would be my all and my everything, my true desire. Word of caution: God will use any means necessary to get you to the point of relying on Him. For me, this meant multiple trials and continued instances where I must practice patience and trust. It's so difficult and frustrating at times, because I cannot see the big picture nor understand the benefit in the struggle.

My Sunday school class is studying Ecclesiastes, and we read through chapter 3 today. This familiar passage reminds us that there is a time for everything under the sun. And we have this assurance: "He has made everything beautiful in its time..." (Eccl. 3:11). In His time, not our time. We were encouraged to think of God as the Beauty-Maker, the ultimate source of control and restoration. So when I prayed "Lord, make me wholly yours, fully dependent on you," I got what I asked for: a closer walk with Him. Of course this is all still in progress, but I'm working on trusting my Beauty-Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment