Monday, July 12, 2010

Are We Really Connected?!

Technology is a funny thing. We are always "connected," always "available" and generally easy to "get hold of," but what does that all mean? We have free time to chat for hours on facebook with our neighbor down the street, instead of getting off the couch and seeing them in person? And texting... is an awesome way to keep people in the loop with short messages, but is it really necessary to text people all day long to feel like you are "in the know"? It's sad. Technology is slowly and surely taking the personal touch out of communication. Things are said much easier virtually, than in reality. It seems to me that we're approaching the point where we will no longer know how to read or use body language (or correct English grammar for that matter). It's no wonder people cannot spell since "u," "cya," "brb," and "rly" have taken over. Daniel Webster would truly be rolling over in his grave. So please, people, use technology as a catalyst to make events happen, stay in touch with long distance people, and share your pictures with others if you must, but PLEASE don't forget the art of one-on-one conversation and correct English spelling. Ok, I think I'm done venting now...

2 comments:

  1. Love the jelly bean background =P

    I sympathize completely. It really annoys me to when I sit with a friend or coworker at lunch and they text the entire time they are having a conversation with me or someone else.

    It also seems strange to me how some people can't leave their house without their cell phone...

    (but I do check my e-mail every day and I check blogger for new and interesting sewing tutorials)

    in other news, you should check out these tutorials

    http://www.adventuresindressmaking.com/2010/06/cut-up-shirt-sew-it-back-together.html

    http://www.adventuresindressmaking.com/2010/03/we-need-to-learn-to-make-these-shorts.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, I loved the jelly bean background too!!! (oops, I am one of those people who can't leave the house without my cell, but I plead my case for safety reasons) Thanks for the links! I will have to check them.

    ReplyDelete