Friday, July 2, 2010

Early (really early) Morning Musings about Candles

I have a thing for candles. So last night when I couldn't sleep, I lit my nearby candle and just watched its steady glow. Watching it, I began to think about how something as simple as a candle could relate to our spiritual lives. Christ says our lives should shine bright for others to see, and not be hidden (think of the kid's song..."Hide it under a bushel...NO! I'm gonna let it shine!") and that we are the salt and light. I began to see the candle though as a representation of our lives. God breathes His breath into us as Christians and new creations, and life begins. We continue glowing and shining for Him, releasing a sweet aroma of obedience, faithfulness, and sacrifice that is pleasing to our Savior (without faith, it is impossible to please God). Our light should illuminate our daily surroundings and give off the warmth of our Savior's love. So, in a metaphorical way, I charge you (and myself) to think of yourself as a candle this week. Shine for Him!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I love this spiritual example with candles! It reminds me of a song that I love called, "Go Light Your World" by Kathy Troccoli. Also the verse in Matthew 5:14-16

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hannah! I'll Have to go check out that song. :)

    ReplyDelete