Monday, July 5, 2010

I'm not of this world...slightly extraterrestial (you are too, admit it)

I was musing, as I tend to do, about our life here on Earth. I find myself expecting so much: for things to be easy, friends to always be there, and basically have my cake and eat it too. But that's not the way things tend to be. Good efforts fall through, living for God is hard, and pain and trials are frequent. But why should we be surprised? As followers and friends of Jesus Christ, we should identify with Him more than this present culture and our state on earth. In John 17:14, Jesus prays to the Father on behalf of His followers and states that "they are not of the world, any more than I am of the world."

Wow. So how comfortable are we on earth? Probably too comfortable. We should see ourselves more as aliens in a foreign land, passing through, but spreading His love and making it our goal to take as many people with us when He returns. Check this passage, Colossians 2:8: "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ." We must stand out, remembering that we are strangers in a foreign land passing through, not letting the customs and norms of this world influence who we are, what we do, and what we live for. So, my fellow aliens, keep pressing on until our Savior returns!

2 comments:

  1. Your words gladden and strengthen my heart to God. =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) That makes me smile! :D Are you still in Blacksburg?

    ReplyDelete