Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Life Full of Blessings= A Green Field Filled with Gorgeous Flowers and the Occasional Rock or Hole

Phew, what a long title. I was attempting to be creative, and that's the best I could come up with. I was struck with the rememberence that I am truly blessed, and that I have more reasons to be thankful than unthankful, even after tripping over figurative rocks and falling in occasional holes, and sometimes deep holes at that. It may seem ridiculous, but trials can often cause one to be more grateful. You begin to realize that all that you feel you own, that you believe you control, can be gone in a second, and it is only the Lord of Lords that holds it all together. Paul states in Colossians 1:17 that "He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Similarly, "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (James 1:17).

Our Father is good, and knows how to give good things to His children. Yet, how often we overlook these blessings of everyday life. Right now, as I type this, my heart is beating, I'm breathing, and I'm sitting in an air-conditioned room with two of the dearest girls I know. Relationships are blessings, and familiarity should never breed contempt. I am blessed to be here period, being unsure if I could return this semester. But I felt like God would meet me on the other side, if I took a step of faith like Peter and proceeded with confidence. I've come a long ways over the past year, and although it was a rough journey, I am ever so grateful to be where I am today, and for the hard lessons I learned that could not have been learnd without trials. I hope and pray that God will use my experiences to encourage and relate to others, for deep down we all have the same fears and doubts.

So back to the field analogy...take time to notice the flowers, to appreciate their beauty. There will be rocks and holes, but Jesus is the ultimate Shepherd that cares for his flock so that they are "not in want."

1 comment:

  1. you are so amazing Larkin =) I'm glad to know a girl like you ^_^ and you always make me smile.

    I love your honesty!

    ReplyDelete