Sunday, November 25, 2012

Day 2!: The Unselfish Motives to Healthy Self-Indulgence

This post is not to say that one should love oneself first and foremost, or explain away unhealthy self absorption. Rather, I want to point out that having time to detox, think, and pamper oneself can also benefit others.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POST IS COMING FROM AN EXTROVERTED INTROVERT, WHO, THOUGH SOCIAL, NEEDS TO RETREAT SOME PART OF EVERY DAY TO FEEL SANE.

Proceed with reading now...

The following scenario I often find myself in leaves me exhausted physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally, which is neither good for me nor those around me: 7 hours of sleep, staying up too late, not being spiritually fed, not making time to talk to my heavenly Father, not prioritizing, etc. This makes me a grouch, and then I am short with others, and they become a grouch. It's a vicious cycle.

Therefore, I encourage some self pampering and time to self for your sake, and others (they will want to be around you more if you're pleasant):
1) Sleep 8+ hours a night
2) Spend time in communion with your heavenly Father
3) treat yourself to an occasional dessert or manicure/pedicure
4) make time for a weekly bath (I forgot how wonderful they are)

Your list may look different than mine, but as Christians, we often pride ourselves on "going" and uber selflessness, which really looks like running around helping everyone and their dog and not getting one single gasp for breath. That, is not godly. Even Jesus retreated from the crowd to pray and get away.

So, in light of the crazy holidays, and daily living, take some time for you. :)

Sincerely, Jane
PS: Thoughts or comments on how you think one should approach self-indulgence are encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment