Friday, November 30, 2012

Day 5!: Whom/what shall I fear?

Ok, so technically speaking, I have failed in writing a blog for Thursday because it is now 1:41 a.m. Friday (according to my roommate), but I strongly believe that a day does not end until one curls up in bed and falls asleep, and since I'm not sleep-typing, it is therefore not Friday.

My thoughts for tonight are short and brief. I'm pretty zonked. I've been thinking and reflecting a lot lately. Praying too.

I took courage, remembering a beloved Psalm I love. Psalm 27 can be summed up in this: Don't freak out; wait for God. I remember when I was going through some of the darkest days of feeling hopeless and discouraged, and making a decorative sign to put on my mirror of verses 13 and 14, my particular favorites: "I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."

Some days, that's all you can do. Emotions can be draining, your body can be sick, your future can be bleak, but God is good and will give good things to those who wait. This doesn't mean that God necessarily rewards those who wait (though he does), but that rather God has provided ahead of time and that we will receive those blessings in due time, and therefore, we must wait patiently for His timing.

In context, this passage is a song of David, a prayer and reflection to God. David of all men had the right to be impatient, angry, and just plain fed up with God. Why was he, the future anointed king of Israel, being pursued by a mad-man-of-a-king bent on killing him? How would his death bring about God's promise? "I will wait...and take heart..." David said.

Waiting on my Lord,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment