Monday, November 11, 2013

The Hopeless Bibliophile Shares a Few Favorites

I am a hopeless bibliophile (aka, lover of books). I am hopeless because I can't be cured, and I can't stop buying books. I have so many I intend to read, so many literary adventures I intend to take, but never enough time. I look at my grand collection of mainly second hand books, sitting their sadly on the shelf, and mentally tell them, "I'll read you some day!"

But anyways, when people realize I was an English major or a bookworm, they immediately start asking me questions like "have you read...?" or "what's your favorite author/book?" The answer to the first question is usually no, because I read mainly the classics. I don't read trending novels (unless it's the Hunger Games). Life is too short to waste your time on poor quality literature. Spare me the Nora Roberts and Nicholas Sparks. If I want romance, I'll watch a movie. Better yet, I'll read a well-developed romance in a piece of classic literature.

To answer the second question though, I have no one favorite author, though I have a few I am very fond of, namely: CS Lewis, Tolkien, F Scott Fitzgerald, and Charlotte Bronte. I really can't claim a favorite author because besides CS Lewis, I haven't read many books by one author. Also, I've tried reading other books by an author I thought I liked (because I loved one of their books) only to dislike another. So, authors come and go for me.

Therefore, I'll provide a list of some of my favorite books/literature, in no particular order:

-Jane Eyre
-Phantom of the Opera
-The Awakening
-Grapes of Wrath
-The Scarlet Letter
-The Screwtape Letters
-The Great Divorce
-Their Eyes Were Watching God
-This Side of Paradise
-The Great Gatsby
-The Importance of Being Earnest
-The Shack
-To Kill a Mockingbird
-A Wrinkle in Time
-Brave New World
-Fahrenheit 451
-The Giver
-Anne of Green Gables
-The Hunger Games Trilogy
-The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
-Little Women

What are some of your favorite books or authors?

Forever trying to catch up on her reading,
Jane

3 comments:

  1. Wow, not all contemporary literature is Nicholas Sparks and Nora Roberts. Go find some well-written, critically acclaimed, award-winning modern lit. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pshhh, I just wanted to harp on romantic "literature." I did include the Hunger Games!

    ReplyDelete